Monday, May 28, 2012

Sometimes, you gotta shop!

It's a beautiful morning here in Pittsburgh!  The sun is shining, it's hot out already and its only 9:30 a.m., it is going to be a beautiful Memorial Day!  I am so happy to be going swimming and spending the day out in the sun with friends that are family!

I decided to get up early and get some stuff done.  I'm not a morning person so sometimes that is hard for me, but I got up about 7:45, showered, took out the dog and made brownies for the party this afternoon.  Once the brownies were safely put away (after I ate 3 for breakfast... ooops), I decided to jump online and work on clipping some coupons.

On my quest to save money, coupons are an essential part of my now daily routine.  I also was going to go onto Old Navy's website and see if there were any great sales on flip flops, as mine are quickly dying and I need to replace them.

I convinced myself that I only  needed flip flops, no other purchases allowed and that was all I was going to look at, this way I was going to not spend too much money.  As soon as I picked out my favorite colors I was going to walk across the street to the grocery store and get my gift card (gotta get those gas points!) and order those suckers through Ebates.  I had it all planned out.

That's when I saw it... their memorial day sale ad.  Obviously I knew they would be having sales and excellent deals and I even flipped through the tank top section when I saw they were having $4 tanks.  That's a good price, but I wasn't sure how long they would be sight unseen and target usually has everyday $6 tanks, so I was getting ready to head to the flippers when there was a little bubble that said tanks are $2 in stores!  TWO DOLLARS for tank tops.  I AM SO THERE!!!

I called my husband to let him know that I was going to buy a few tanks today and not to be mad when he gets home and sees the bags.  Kevin would actually never get mad, but this just lets me quietly validate my need for shopping!  He agreed and told me to have fun, but to be sure to use the credit card since we get points back for that and I'm not using Ebates!  Wow... I have trained him so well!

I think the most important thing when trying to save is to let yourself live at the same time... within reason!  I am not going to the store to spend $100 on new clothes that I don't necessarily "need" I just want.  I am most likely going to buy 3, possibly 4 tanks and spend under $10.  That's a deal that no one should pass up!  I think everyone should be heading out to Old Navy to buy summer tanks today!! (Unless you live in Pittsburgh, then stay away, I want a good variety when I go!)

Don't deprive yourself of opportunities like this when you are trying to save.  You will more-than-likely burn out and end up spending serious money when $10 could have gotten you through 3 weeks without spending.  I think that should be in the savings 101 handbook... let yourself buy things you need occasionally!  Three new tanks are like a new wardrobe between wearing them and layering them.  Add colorful flippers on top of them and you feel like a new person!

Happy  Memorial Day everyone! I hope everyone scores some major discounts and savings today!

No comments:

Post a Comment